Free Poetry Lessons
Hello Goodbye Poems
Summary: Many people see the same events in different ways. Some people see the opportunities in a situation others see the negative. What do you see?
1. Think Pair Share – For some, the glass is half full. For some, the glass is half empty. For others, the glass is too big. What is your understanding of these phrases?
2. Discuss – ‘pessimism’ & ‘optimism’.
3. Possible Organisation – Split the class in half and using the poetry scaffold below one group write a poem that is pessimistic, lamenting & negative but shows respect. The other group writes a poem that is optimistic, uplifting & filled with hope.
4. Possibility – write the poem from the point of view of a famous students eg Bart Simpson, Lisa Simpson, etc
Farewell School Holidays
Hello school gate
Hello (your principal’s name)
Hello (your teacher’s name)
Hello (classroom name)
Hello (a piece of classroom furniture)
Hello (a piece of classroom equipment)
Hello (title of a classroom book)
Hello (your choice)
Farewell school holidays
(Hint – copy & paste this poetry scaffold into a word processor)
5. A few ideas to get you thinking – sleeping in, TV, video games, sport, play, recreation, your family
6. Rearrange the lines of the poem using either numbers, arrows or ‘cut & paste’ in a word processor so you have your own unique structure and gain maximum ‘negativity’.
7. Read the poem aloud to a friend so it sounds morbid.
8. Experiment with reading your new poem with loud and soft tones of voice. Include a whisper, a yell & use your voice to create sound effects.
9. In poetry you tend to pause a short time at the end of lines without punctuation markers and pause a little longer at the end of lines with punctuation markers. Experiment with pauses and see what effect they have on the poem.
10. Perform the poem – to another class, to your parents, with puppets…
11. Publish the poem in an interesting way – blog it, Create a Slide Presentation, using a graphics editor & creative commons pictures, use a drawing program, create an audio story with sound effects… be creative! NB USE NO TEXTAS, glitter pens, etc