Mathematical Problem Solving
Soma Cube Task One:
– Create the Puzzle Pieces – There are seven shapes that make up the pieces of a soma cube
The Puzzle Pieces
Soma Cube Task Two:
– Assemble the pieces to form a cube.
What You Need:
– 27 wooden cubes (3cm x 3cm x 3cm is a good size)
– strong wood glue
– paint or wood stain
How to Do It:
1. Glue the cubes together to form the puzzle pieces as shown being sure to wipe away any excess glue.
2. Wait for the pieces to dry.
3. Paint each of the sets of pieces a different color.
Tips and Tricks:
– For a neater puzzle buy the little cubes precut.
– Have your class build their own puzzles from centicubes and glue.
– Paint each puzzle a different color. This helps when you find a piece on the classroom floor.
– Share your newly made puzzles around other classes to get a bit more problem solving happening in the school.
– For a more professional-looking puzzle color it with wood stain but you will have to be careful at the gluing stage as the stain will not work through glue smudges.
– Store each puzzle in a plastic container. The ones takeaway food come in are great.
– Please don’t just use this as an activity for the ‘early finishers’. Make the time for everyone to experience the ‘A-ha’ feeling.
Taking it Further: