Art Lesson Ideas
Color Theory – Shades
Summary: This art lesson aims for students to explore the effect black has on color and mood.
1. Explore artworks that make use of dark moody colors.
2. Discussion – Shades are ‘colors mixed with black’. They are often used to create gloomy or sad moods. It is important to have a knowledge of these colors for when you wish to create such a mood. Most students know to mix white with colors to create tints but black is not a tool they think to use. Shades can also be used in shadows and shading.
3. Draw a cartoon cityscape in yellow chalk. Make some of the lines ‘wavey’ for a different effect. Be sure to raise the baseline from the bottom of the page.
4. Color the outlines using only colors mixed with black (tones).
5. Once dry, outline shapes in black with a thin brush and display.