Art Lesson Ideas
How to Make Tones
Summary: This art lesson aims for students to explore the effect of adding black and white to colors.
1. Explain – ‘tone’ is a color mixed with grey.
2. Explore some artworks that use tones.
3. Demonstrate making a sketch in yellow chalk of a person without looking at the paper. Be sure to use large sweeping arm movements to fill up the page. NB I use yellow chalk because it is easy to see and makes it easy to paint over construction lines.
4. Have the children sketch a friend without looking at their paper. Really encourage them not to look as it is heaps of fun to see the finished portrait 🙂
5. Add a few lines to make the sketch as ‘unrealistic’ as possible.
6. Paint the sketch with tones only i.e. colors/colors mixed with grey/gray.
7. Once dry outline in black paint with a thin brush.
8. Hang and evaluate.