Poetry Writing Lesson
Using Online Magnetic Poetry Websites in Class
Tips and Tricks:
– Encourage the students to just drag words into the workspace and rearrange them rather than spending a lot of time trying to find words that they want.
– Encourage spontaneity and then review, edit, experiment, etc later.
– Have the students work in pairs so that they argue and negotiate a lot 🙂
– Take a screen dump of the finished poem and load it to your blog.
– Read the poems aloud to the class yourself and really ham them up 🙂
– Try giving a line structure of say 3 words, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 3.
– Have the children invent their own structures.
– Have Text to Speech Software read the poem and then add it to a podcast.
– Read the poem aloud so that it sounds like a shopping list.
– Read the poem aloud so it sounds like Beat Generation poetry.
– If the site you use allows words to be edited set a limit of only being able to change 3 or 4 words to maintain the integrity of ‘magnetic poetry’.
– Allow an off-screen edit to add words that they would like and then compare the two.
Compose Magnetic Poetry Online
Online Magnetic Poetry- Categories include: The Poet, Nature & a Starter Kit